Introducing the Midtown Collection: three brand spanking new sewing patterns, inspired by folkwear, and to be sewn by you! These garments are meant for everyone who likes practical, wearable basics with room for clever embellishments, and the possibility of lots and lots of variations. Each of these garments can be made as innocent or not-so-innocent, and as casual or fancy, and as playful or serious as your daily life demands.

This mini-collection has influences from the folklore I love, and from the city that is now my home. I realize that’s a bit of a contradiction but we’re such torn creatures, aren’t we? We dream of a simpler life, with nature and summer breezes and flowers and trees everywhere. And yet we don’t want to let go of another dream either: the fascinating, exhausting, busy  of cities like New York, communities that bring together in one place the big wide world and all the many different people in it.

Sewing is my respite from the rush of it. This collection places the dream of a simpler life squarely in the middle of urban living (here’s the lookbook). A little bit of Manhattan – but with flowers!

The Giselle Dress – knee-length or maxi:

GiselleAB1

The Zsálya top or dress:

ZsalyaAB1

And the Mariska skirt:

MariskaAB

For starters, these patterns are available as PDF downloads in my Etsy store. I will be adding more sales venues in the next few days, and I will update this post when they’re done. Paper patterns will be available for preorder soon, and ready to be shipped at the end of May.

Whew! That took much longer than I wish it had, I couldn’t even keep my deadline of yesterday, given to you all here on the blog… But I’m starting to realize something important: sometimes it’s best to just keep on going, no matter how imperfectly. I hope you’ll forgive me the delay!

I will have posts about the amazing (AMAZING) pattern testers who worked with me on these three patterns. I’m incredibly grateful to every single one of them, they were kind, and patient, and I learned so much from their feedback. You guys, you sewing community: you are wonderful.

Tonight I’m off to the sewing swap meet at the Workroom Social’s Manhattan Pop-up Studio. And I think I’d like a drink now!

This entry was posted in News and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Midtown Collection: three brand new sewing patterns, for your folksy sewing pleasure!

1. Stephanie says:

They look so, so great! I love the ombre dress the most!

2. Dora says:

WOW. You have been busy! 3 patterns released at once! Congratulations! They look fantastic. Have you thought about making patterns for kids? Not that you want one more thing on your plate…just think you could come up with some really cute dresses for girls.

• kati says:

Kids patterns! I dream of making them. I got started making a little-girl’s Giselle dress but haven’t had time to finish it! I don’t know if I’ll ever get round to grading it to more sizes than my own girls’ though… It may be that I’ll do it as a kind of pattern hack tutorial from a TNT kids’ pattern.

3. Amy says:

Oh wow! I love seeing your versions of these patterns. More photos of the floral Giselle Dress, please!!!

4. TinaD says:

Totally in love with the floral fabric for the Giselle. (Okay, in love with Giselle full stop.) Congrats!

5. Laurie says:

Oh, these are beautiful. I am so excited to see them. I love my Zsalya blouse!!! Fantastic job.

6. Carolyn says:

Congratulations on a really beautiful range of patterns! You are so clever. All your versions look really lovely, and very beautiful fabric choices too. Magnifique!

7. Erin says:

I can’t wait to post about my test of the Giselle maxi and I’m even more excited for it to be warm enough for me to wear it! Your knee length Giselle is so beautiful – the fabric you found is amazing, and now that I see the Zsálya top I can’t wait to make that up too. Congrats!

8. heather says:

I just came across your shop on etsy and I must say that I’m in love with your patterns! They’re gorgeous!

9. Megan says:

I just discovered your patterns and I am so in love with that short Giselle dress! It is amazing. May I ask what the fabric is and where you found it? I think the floral fabric is perfect for that dress (and now want to make it)!

• kata says:

Megan, thank you so much! For the floral Giselle sample I actually used two Russian scarves, not – actually – fabric… I’m really hoping I’ll have a chance to create something similar and print it on Spoonflower but I suspect it will be a while before I find the time. I’ve seen lovely border prints in quilting cottons (the Giselle looks great made up in quilting-weight cotton), and vintage sari fabrics might also be an option (you’d probably have to use an underlayer as they are often a bit sheer or underline the whole dress). Hope this helps!

10. Megan says:

Thanks Kata! Do you know when the paper version of the Giselle will be available?

Comments are closed.