Learn the basics of Hungarian Kalocsa style embroidery in this 2-hour virtual class.
This class will introduce you to the basic stitches and motifs of Kalocsa embroidery from the central part of Hungary. We will practice how to work the wildly colorful, large-scale floral shapes characteristic of this embroidery, as well as tips and tricks for starting and ending threads, changing thread colors, techniques that result in embroidery that looks nearly the same on the back as the front, transferring the designs, and caring for your finished work.
Class will also include a brief history of this style of embroidery.
The class zoom meeting link as well as a PDF handout with embroidery designs we will be working on will be sent the day before class.
You will need the following materials for this class:
- piece of cotton broadcloth fabric in a light color or muslin, about the size of one sheet of paper
- #8 Perle cotton thread in 3 to 6 bright and contrasting colors
- Chenille needle or crewel/embroidery needle
- pencil or fabric pen available in craft stores
- optional: embroidery hoop
Date & Time:
- Saturday, July 17, 1 to 3 pm EST/ 7 to 9 pm CET/ 10 am to 12 pm PST